This summer, amidst all that goes into starting a new business; we put a pause on Spice Ladle and took on an Indian journey. It’s been a long 3 years since our last visit: read “A Pictorial Journey of Magnificent India: Part I and Part II” from my last trip.
When it comes to travel posts, images speak louder than words. So, I’ll let the pictures below do all the talking…
Without much ado, let’s get started, shall we?
The evolution of food in India can be summed up by the title of this post. While old favorites remain irreplaceable; my food experiences show the country’s fast evolving food palette. The urban population is clearly ready to explore food in new ways (showing that Peri’s Spice Ladle has always been onto something!)
5 cool new trends I noticed across the urban food landscape
- In Mumbai, Socials (casual hangouts for work and after-work) are all the rage as are microbreweries.
- Classic food, placed on mini Naan/Paratha – an Indian version of pizzettes.
- Molecular Gastronomy (what’s that now?) Food with a scientific bent or as they describe it ‘ Food that Creates an Illusion.’
- Rustic serve-ware, cool trendy menus, focus on unique food platters.
- New avatars of old chaat dishes.
I’ve been hearing a lot about Sodawaterbottleopenerwala, a Parsi food modern take on Irani cafes. I liked what I ate, and the fun atmosphere.
And saving the best for last – our short but fun-n-food filled trip to Hyderabad…a city that knows hospitality. Our stay at the famed Falaknuma Palace gave us a taste of authentic royalty.