As the weather begins to cool down, my choice of salads start changing too. Around this of year, a heartier brown rice salad feels more appropriate as a meal accompaniment, than green salad.
In my easy two-step brown rice cranberry salad recipe below, the nutty flavors of brown rice complement the sweetness of seasonal dried cranberries and crunchy walnuts.
But first, I’ll leave you with some interesting tips on cooking brown rice:
- I prefer using brown Basmati rice for salads.
- Soak raw brown rice for around 30 minutes prior to cooking; it helps open up the grains and reduces cooking time.
- The general rule of thumb for most rice is one part rice to two parts water, but follow the package directions since rice types vary.
- Raise the bar on brown rice by using broth as the cooking liquid in place of water.
- Reduce the package cook times for brown rice by 3-5 minutes. Instead, cover the rice and let it finish cooking in steam for 10 minutes. Fluff the cooked rice with a fork while still hot and keep covered till ready to use.
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked and warm
- ½ cup dried cranberries (raisins or dried apricots work too)
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (use pine nuts or pecans, if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Mix the brown rice, cranberries and toasted walnuts in a bowl.
- Prepare the dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, ground cumin and seasonings.
- Add the dressing and parsley to the salad and toss.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with your favorite meat or vegetable entree.
- This recipe was created by me and first appeared in Zenfully Delicious