From Texas to California

This summer, our family is relocating from Dallas to San Francisco.

Texas Cowboys and Rodeos

Texas Cowboys and Rodeos

Sad to bid farewell to a decade of delightful Texas barbecues and chilis, cowboys and rodeos, we’re equally excited to embrace the coastal Californian lifestyle with stunning bay views, multicultural influences and farm fresh food.

Coastal Californian Lifestyle: Golden Gate Bridge

Coastal Californian Lifestyle: Golden Gate Bridge

While I circumvent the joys and challenges of a move across states and get my kitchen ready to cook up more mouthwatering Indian-inspirations for Peri’s Spice Ladle; this month, my posts will feature fun recipe collections of old favorites from my blog archives.

This week, I’m keeping it simple with flavorful summer recipe ideas that require little cooking (click any image or title for the recipe,) giving us the opportunity to enjoy lazy warm days away from the kitchen…

Buttermilk Thyme Chicken Tikka

Chicken Tikka in its many versions rules the roost during summer. Make this flavor-filled buttermilk and thyme Tikka marinade any day of the week for a simple meal; grilled outdoors or baked in an oven.

Buttermilk Thyme Chicken Tikka

Buttermilk Thyme Chicken Tikka

Okra Potato Stir-fry

Light Indian vegetable ‘Subji’ preparations like stir-fried okra and potatoes are best served with your choice of Indian bread (here are some inspirations from my Indian-breads Fest last March.)

Okra Potato Stir-fry

Okra Potato Stir-fry

Indian Lentil-n-Rice Khichdi

Something about one pot Indian comfort meal Khichdi makes it a year round favorite. Get all the ingredients in a pot and let the rice and lentils cook to steaming aromatic perfection.

Indian Lentil-n-Rice Khichdi

Indian Lentil-n-Rice Khichdi

Egg Salad Toastie-style Panini Sandwich

Keep some hard boiled eggs on hand in the refrigerator for anytime egg salad toasties or Panini sandwiches. Serve them up with a side of cumin and mint home fries.

Egg Salad Toastie-style Panini

Egg Salad Toastie-style Panini

Dark Chocolate Pistachio Fudge Burfi

Pander to a sweet tooth with this three-step recipe for fudgy dark chocolate Indian Burfi, with a hint of spice and dusting of ground pistachio.

Fudgy Dark Chocolate Pistachio Indian Burfi

Fudgy Dark Chocolate Pistachio Indian Burfi

Comments

1. Nilabh says

The only thing we take and leave are memories, have fun in SF, and as Rabindranth Tagore very beautifully said; Life is a series of meetings and partings….njoy

2. says

Good luck with the move, Peri!! I’m sure you’re going to have a great time in California, and you’ll be cooking up a storm for us again in next to no time! Best wishes, Andreas

3. says

Best wishes to you and your family as you blaze new trails. San Francisco sounds like a new mouth watering adventure to come out of your kitchen. In the meantime, I will be checking out these links to your recipes.

4. Yasmin says

Welcome to the Bay area darling Peri :) So excited to have you close by and look forward to creating more fantabulous memories with you all! Cheerz!!

5. says

My prayers are with you Peri! I know moving can be exciting, and at the same time stressful, because I just moved to Nebraska a year ago from San Antonio, Texas. I missed Texas a lot, and still do, but kind of like Nebraska too. I’m sure you’re new life in California will be very exciting and you will enjoy all the culinary happenings over there!

• says

Thanks Srilakhshmi, I completely agree on how a move brings joy but can quickly get trying! So glad you’re enjoying Nebraska, Texas has so much to miss, the large spaces and such wonderful people:) Looking forward to the food scene here in SF.

6. says

Good luck with the move! While I’ve been to San Francisco in the past, I’ve always wanted to return to scope out the intense food scene. I’m sure you’re going to love it! :)

• says

I’m most excited about the food scene here, Rahul, just amazing to see a different cuisine every few steps! And restaurants are not afraid to explore…love that! Thanks for the wishes.

7. Ketty says

Best wishes for the move. Will miss your presence in Texas but will be looking forward to your “Spice Ladle” as always. Do keep in touch.

8. says

Peri, California is wonderful. I am sure you will like it. Last time I was there we had toasted fresh Sour dough bread with cream cheese. It was so good we brought a loaf back to Boston with us. Just cannot find the same out here in New England. Tried baking it but am not a good bread maker. Best wishes for a safe move and keep your prized glassware safe and well-packed.

• says

Thanks for the wishes, Rita, and the wise reminder to keep my china and platters safe:) those are always the toughest to move. Do get in touch if you’re here next. We visited Boudin bakery on every house hunting trip this summer! Love sourdough bread, that delightful texture is so unique.

9. says

Way to go dear Peri; our heart and thoughts are with you at this exciting new venture; I am sure you will enjoy the ride and make another wonderful home in CA – in the meantime, we’ll greatly enjoy these delicious Indian treats. Our best wishes and a toast to your new home :) Ozlem xx

• says

Greatly appreciate your thoughts during the move, Ozlem. It sure is a fun ride and San Francisco seems like a awesome city to discover, we’re excited:) Have fun in Istanbul, will be thinking of you. XxPeri.

10. eric bakhtawar says

Thanks Peri. Good to see you ready for your Californian adventure.
    Sincerely appreciate your understanding of Indian food.
    Best wishes

• Eric says

Thanks Peri, tried your chicken tikkas marinated with buttermilk. What an idea!
        Loved them.
        Have been working hard on Anglo Indian food recipes. They were the best. Nobody seems to have documented much except Patrecia Brown

• says

Delighted to hear the feedback, Eric, the buttermilk tikka is such favorite with us and friends too.
          I like globalizing Indian food, so much flavor there to explore. I will check out Patrecia Brown’s work on it. Thanks.

11. says

All the very best Peri.. Im sure the move to California will be equally exciting. The warm memories of Texas will always hold a special place and life is made of memories aint it?

Let me know what you think...