Colorful, simple and healthful…is the best way to describe this Indian Pulao-style one-pot rice meal.
Chock-full with the delicious goodness of fresh green herbs and aromatic spices, hearty whole-grain brown rice, protein-rich lean chicken and a rainbow of colorful vegetables like red bell pepper, green peas, orange carrot and yellow sweet corn; Chicken and Vegetable Brown Rice Rainbow Pulao is easy to put together.
This versatile rice Pulao is my go-to recipe for a quick delicious weeknight meal, and always handy as a color-filled side for my spring and summer parties.
This week, my new page titled ‘These are a Few of My Favorite ‘Kitchen’ Things’ is ready and online; stop by and check out some of the useful kitchen tools and gadgets that make my life in the kitchen a cinch…and might have the same effect on yours.
- 1 cup raw brown Basmati rice (short grain brown rice works too)
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (alternatively use cumin seeds)
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 1 Serano pepper or Thai green chili, slit lengthwise (optional, for a spicier kick)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste (½ inch ginger and 2-3 cloves garlic, grated)
- ½ lb. boneless chicken breast OR 1½ cups cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken or frozen chicken strips,) cut in 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup yellow corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ teaspoon ground red chili or Cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash and soak the brown Basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- In a sauté pan with a tight fitting lid, heat canola oil and add fenugreek or cumin seeds, sliced onion, green chili pepper (if using) and ginger-garlic paste, cooking for 3-4 minutes till the onion is translucent.
- Stir in raw or cooked chicken, peas, corn, carrot and drained raw rice; sprinkle spices and salt over them.
- Add 2 cups of water or chicken stock. Let the liquid come to a boil; reduce the flame to low and cook covered for 17 minutes. Turn off the flame and leave covered for another 10 minutes, so the rice can finish cooking in steam. Fluff the cooked brown rice Pulao with a fork.
- Turn on the stove again and on a low flame, add red bell peppers, chopped tarragon and cilantro, drizzle lemon juice over the rice. Stir the Pulao gently and cook covered for 3-5 minutes to let all the flavors blend.
- Serve the Chicken and Vegetable Brown Rice Rainbow Pulao steaming hot, as a weeknight family dinner or as a side for your next weekend get-together.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
My new page ‘These are a Few of My Favorite ‘Kitchen’ Things’ is ready to view…