The evolving role of a modern day ‘Dad’ is one of the biggest paradigm shifts of our times.
Its been heartwarming to watch the changing face of fathers, from yesteryear’s ‘uninvolved & boldly stoic bread-winners’ to the ‘loving & gentle diaper-changing dads’ of today.
As parental duties have overlapped, men are becoming more in sync with their children and families than ever before in the history of mankind; and it’s only fitting that a day is dedicated to celebrate encouraging and amazing Dads everywhere…
So as I watch my little ones get ready to shower their wonderful dad with cards and hugs for ‘Father’s Day’ this Sunday; I’m thinking of my own progressive dad back in India, the one who taught me how to ride my first bike and nervously gave me the keys to his car when I turned 18.
Our dad passed on his joie-de-vivre to all three of his girls, along with his love for food & travel, while never letting us forget that strength of character and integrity are irreplaceable personal traits; values that have held my sisters and me in good stead as we’ve gone through life.
So, my recipe for today is one of dad’s favorite quick meals for our family, a delicious egg salad toastie-style sandwich, made with a much used ingredient in Parsi homes, the ‘Hard-boiled Egg’.
And the best part of this egg sandwich is the lack of mayonnaise in the egg salad; the mustard flavored, grated hard-boiled eggs work well along with the crunch of red onions and a spicy kick from the Serrano pepper, to result in a melt-in-your-mouth creamy salad.
I’ve added some of my own touches to the simple egg salad with a dash of hot sauce and the texture of diced bell peppers, giving you a versatile mouthwatering sandwich, perfect for brunch or lunch, high-tea and dinner.
- Fresh sliced loaf bread of choice
- Butter for spreading
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely minced Serrano pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely diced yellow bell pepper
- Dash or two of hot sauce like Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- In a bowl, grate hard boiled eggs using a fine grater (a micro plane style zester is perfect for this job.)
- Add the seasonings, mustard, onion, Serrano and bell pepper, hot sauce and melted better to the grated hard-boiled eggs. Mix to form a creamy egg salad.
- Pre-heat the sandwich or Panini maker on a high setting or heat the stove-top toastie-maker on the stove.
- Spread desired amount of egg salad on a slice of fresh loaf bread. Cover with another slice of bread and apply a layer of butter on top of the slice.
- Put the sandwich buttered side down onto the toastie-maker or sandwich/Panini maker. Now, apply a layer of butter on the unbuttered side and close the equipment to toast the sandwich.
- Serve the freshly-made Egg Salad Toastie-style Panini Sandwich as a meal with your favorite side or cut the sandwich into mini triangles for a perfect high-tea snack.
- • Serrano chili pepper can be replaced with Jalapeño chilies for a lesser spice kick or with Thai Green Chili for a spicier touch.
- • For those unfamiliar with a stove-top toastie-maker, it’s the forerunner to all sandwich and panini makers, a simple mechanical clamp-based kitchen tool, which makes delicious sandwiches right on the stove top.